Chateau Gruaud-Larose Sarget de Gruaud-Larose 2016
Chateau Gruaud Larose has a shorter history than most of its neighbors. The estate began in 1725, when Joseph Stanislas Gruaud purchased a property called Fond-Bedeau. Two other members of the Gruaud family, a priest and a magistrate, eventually joined forces and combined their property to increase the size of the estate to 116 hectares. Te Magistrate died in 1778 and the property was deeded to Joseph Sebastian de la Rose, who renamed the property Gruaud Larose. In 1812, the Larose family was forced to sell the estate to pay their debts. 3 partners purchased the property together but 1 died shortly after and his shares were divide between the other 2. Shortly after the 1855 classification, the property was divided, one estate was called Gruaud Larose Sarget and the other was Gruaud Larose Faure. The Sarget property constructed the Chateau in 1875. The Cordier group purchased the Sarget portion in 1917 and the Faure portion in 1935. The estate was complete again under the Cordier ownership. In 1997 Jacques Merlaut purchased the estate. Jean Merlaut currently owns the property.
The 82 hectare Saint Julien vineyard of Gruaud Larose is planted to 65% Cabernet Sauvignon, 25% Merlot, 5% Cabernet Franc and 5% Petit Verdot. They are actively increasing the amount of Cabernet Sauvignon and decreasing Cabernet Franc. Sarget de Gruaud Larose is the second wine from the estate. Not to be confused with the wine produced in the late 1800s when the estate was split into 2 separate properties.
|High 72% Cabernet gives this second wine firm, direct fruit with the natural rich smoothness seen in the grand vin. More elegant and precise than in the past.|
|James Suckling: 91|
|A medium-bodied red with blackberry and plum character, fine tannins and a fresh finish. Second wine of Gruaud-Larose.|